Site Loader
Rock Street, San Francisco

Immigration forms, as the name implies, are forms that people that intend to legally move to the United States either for work or permanent residence fill. There are hundreds of different forms available for use, so it is encouraged that you seek the help of an immigration officer, depending on the purpose. Discard whatever information any agency apart from the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) provides. The forms are only available online, at the USCIS, the US State Department or the consulates at your home country and are absolutely free.

Ensure you plan ahead of time and go to the USCIS early, as there is usually a long queue that needs to be attended to. Also, you can make use of the ‘Info Pass’ program that helps applicants book official appointments ahead of time and get a printout of the letter, as some offices may have so many persons to attend to that they may not accept ‘walk-ins’. Also, endeavor to carry your ID cards and all immigration forms and necessary documents.

Things change and evolve, so the USCIS ensures that it upgrades and updates the forms regularly. Do not use an outdated version of the form no matter how urgent it seems, as it may miss some vital information and get your form delayed or rejected. Even though you have already filled an immigration form, but it got outdated by the time you were able to gather your documents together, ensure that you cross-check with the current version so that nothing gets left out.

Before submitting the immigration form, ensure you review the fee table on the ‘Fee for Visa’ page on the State Department or USCIS website to see the required immigration fee. Do not assume the price as immigration fees change all the time. Failure to attach the fee to the form or submitting a lower fee will automatically lead to your application being denied. The fees are usually paid in dollars or the country’s currency equivalent if it is done in your home country.

The common immigration forms include:

  • I-90: renewal of the Green Card
  • I-129F: This is a petition for a foreign fiancé/fiancée. It is usually given on the condition that the marriage ceremony holds within 90 days of the partner’s arrival.
  • I-130: Petition to sponsor a foreign relative
  • I-140: This is usually given to an employer seeking to sponsor a foreign employee.
  • I-485: Petition to apply for permanent residency.
  • I-526: This is for foreign entrepreneurs coming to the US to establish their business.

Contact the immigration officer to get more information about other immigration forms.

Read More:
How much does it cost to be a US Citizen?
Read more About Green Card Organization


Post Author: Green Card Organization